- Final: Missouri 68, Alabama 65
- Shackelford misses a three-point attempt. Rebounded by Missouri as the clock expires.
- Pinson makes both free throws. Alabama down 68-65 with 4.1 seconds left. Missouri timeout.
- Jones misses a layup, rebounded by Mark Smith. Smith is fouled by Quinerly, and Smith will head to the line with 13.7 seconds to go. Timeout Alabama.
- Dru Smith misses a jumper, rebound by Jones. Timeout Alabama with :21.2 left to go.
- Layup good by Ellis. The Crimson Tide trails 66-65 with :59.6 on the clock. Timeout Missouri. Alabama is on a 21-2 run.
- Ellis is fouled by Brown and makes both of his free throws. Missouri lead is now only three points. 66-63 Missouri with 1:32 left to go.
- Shackelford’s free throw is good. 66-61 Missouri with 1:32 left.
- Shackelford makes another layup, fouled by Mitchell Smith for the and-1 opportunity.
- Petty makes a three, cutting the lead to single digits. 66-58 Missouri with 2:15 to go.
- Jumper good by Shackelford, putting Alabama down by 11.
- Tilmon makes two free throws. 66-53 Tigers.
- Media timeout.
- Layup good by Ellis. Alabama is now on a 9-0 run. 3:37 to go.
- A layup by Quinerly cuts the Missouri lead to 15. A layup by Jones then cuts it to 13. Timeout Missouri. 4:15 left to play.
- Petty sinks a three, assisted by Primo. 64-47 Missouri with 5:24 left in the game.
- Mitchell Smith gets two more with a jumper.
- Quinerly sinks a three. His is the second Alabama player to reach 10 points in the game. Media timeout. Missouri has 46 points from the paint. Alabama has 44 points from the floor.
- Rojas misses a dunk. With Reese missing one earlier, that makes two misses unopposed dunks for Alabama. The Crimson Tide can’t catch a break.
- Quinerly finally breaks the scoring drought with a layup. 62-41 Missouri with 9:08 left to play. Shackelford is the only Crimson Tide player in double-digits with 10.
- Another layup by Brown.
- Alabama now has no field goals over the last five minutes.
- Layup good by Brown. Missouri makes it 60-39.
- Shackelford goes 1-for-2 from the free throw line. 58-39 Missouri.
- Media timeout with 11:41 to go. Alabama is now shooting just 27-percent from the floor. A remarkable 12-for-45.
- Alabama has no field goals in over three minutes and is one for its last 11.
- Gary makes two free throws to bring the score to 58-38 in favor of the Tigers.
- Brown nails a three. The Tigers are shooting 55-percent from the floor.
- Jones picks up his fourth foul.
- Tilmon fouls Rojas on a three-point attempt. Rojas misses all three free throws.
- Quinerly knocks down a three. 52-36 Missouri.
- Media timout.
- Tilmon picks up his first personal foul.
- Shackelford turns the ball over, steal by Mark Smith. That makes 12 turnovers for the Crimson Tide.
- Dru Smith picks up his third personal, fouling Ellis.
- Dru Smith fouls Shackelford. Shackelford makes both free throws. 52-33 Missouri.
- Layup good by Mitchell Smith.
- Another layup by Brown, and yet another layup from Pinson gives Missouri a 6-0 run. 50-31 Missouri.
- Layup good by Pinson. Alabama seemingly can’t stop Missouri in the paint today. The Tigers now have 34 points under the basket.
- Three-pointer good by Reese. 44-31 Missouri.
- Alabama is absolutely abysmal from the floor, shooting 31-percent. The Crimson Tide is just 10-for-32. On the opposite end, Missouri is shooting quite well, going 19-for-35 in the first half for a percentage of 54.
- The Crimson Tide finished the first half with eight turnovers. Missouri ended up with six in the first 20 minutes.
- Shackelford leads the Crimson Tide in points so far with seven. Ellis is close behind with six, while Petty and Jones each have five. Petty leads the team in rebounds with four in the first half.
- Dru Smith and Mark Smith lead the Tigers with 13 and 12 points, respectively. Dru Smith also leads the Tigers with seven rebounds.
(most recent update at top)
- Halftime: Missouri 44, Alabama 28
- Another layup by Mitchell Smith brings the first half to a close.
- Layup good by Quinerly, but Missouri responds with a layup from Drew Buggs.
- Mark Smith makes a three. 40-26 Missouri with just over a minute remaining in the first.
- Watson is given his second foul. Ellis heads to the line and misses his first, but makes his second. In the first half, the Crimson Tide is 4-for-9 from the charity stripe.
- Shackelford is fouled by Dru Smith. Shackelford makes both free throws. 37-25 Missouri.
- Primo misses his free throw, rebounded by Missouri. Tilmon makes a layup.
- Petty makes a steal but is fouled by Pinson.
- Alabama finally breaks the 20-point mark with a layup by Rojas. Gary makes a steal on Missouri’s ensuing possession, another layup — this time by Petty — puts the Crimson Tide down 35-23 at the final media timeout of the first half.
- Reese picks up his second foul. Mark Smith goes 1-for-2 from the free-throw line. 35-19 Missouri with five minutes to go.
- Alabama is in the midst of yet another scoring drought. The Crimson Tide is now one of its last eight.
- At the media break, the Tigers are shooting 61-percent from the floor. Missouri has only attempted five threes, but is 14-23 from the floor.
- Media timeout. With 7:39 to go in the first, Alabama is still struggling to hold onto the basketball. Combine that with 40-percent shooting from beyond the arc and 7-for-19 from the floor for Alabama, and a recipe for a tough start is complete.
- Gary is fouled by Torrence Watson. Gary makes his first free throw, misses his second. 32-19 Missouri.
- Jones now has three fouls, this time against Parker Braun. Braun makes his first free throw, but misses his second. Rebound by the Crimson Tide.
- Alabama finally ends its scoring drought with a three by Shackelford, assisted by Jahvon Quinerly.
- Petty misses a three, which results in a dunk by Mark Smith on the other end. 31-15 Misouri.
- Missouri is up 29-15 over Alabama. Timeout Crimson Tide.
- Alabama now has seven turnovers compared to Missouri’s one. The Crimson Tide has turned the ball over four times in the last 4:07. Top that off with a scoring drought of over two minutes. Not the start Nate Oats and Alabama wanted.
- Make that five turnovers as Petty gives up the ball to Mark Smith. Smith makes a layup.
- Alabama has now increased its turnovers to four, while Missouri still has none.
- Tilmon makes another layup, but Ellis responds with a jumper to keep the scoring margin the same. 23-15 Missouri at the under-12 media timeout.
- Kobe Brown makes a layup for his first two points.
- John Petty Jr. hits a three, assisted by Shackelford.
- Dru Smith makes a jumper. 19-10 Missouri with 13:32 to go in the first. Smith now has 11 points.
- Mitchell Smith fouls Jones. However, Jones misses both of his free throws.
- Tilmon makes his free throw.
- With 15:01 left in the first half, the Crimson Tide is out-rebounding the Tigers 6-4. However, Alabama has two turnovers compared to none for Missouri.
- A layup by Jeremiah Tilmon gives the Tigers two more points. 16-10 Missouri. Media timeout. Ellis fouled Tilmon on the way up, so he’ll get the opportunity for a free throw.
- Keon Ellis makes a three at the buzzer.
- Dru Smith now has nine points before the first media timeout. A 14-3 run by the Tigers now has them up 14-7.
- Jones makes the first three of the game. Score is now ties 7-7.
- Pinson makes his first layup and is fouled on the way up by Alex Reese. Pinson makes his free throw. Missouri is now on a 7-0 run and is leading Alabama 7-4 with 17:14 left to play in the first half.
- Short jumper by Dru Smith and the Tigers have their first points of the contest.
- Shackelford drives into the paint for another layup.
- Jones makes a layup for the first Crimson Tide points of the game.
- Alabama wins the opening tip, and we are underway in Columbia.
- Today’s officials: Mike Nance, Byron Jarrett, Jason Baker.
- Alabama’s starting five: Jaden Shackelford (G), John Petty Jr. (G), Josh Primo (G), Alex Reese (F), Herb Jones (W).
- Missouri’s starting five: Xavier Pinson (G), Dru Smith (G), Mark Smith (G), Jeremiah Tilmon (F), Kobe Brown (F).
A four-game lead on every other team in the Southeastern Conference.
That is what’s at stake for the University of Alabama men’s basketball team when it travels to Columbia to tangle with No. 18 Missouri on Saturday morning (11 a.m, CT).
After another beatdown of LSU on Wednesday night, the 10th-ranked Crimson Tide is 15-4 overall and 10-0 in league play for the first time in 65 years. A win over the Tigers would give coach Nate Oats and company a path to the school’s first SEC regular-season title since 2002.
The Crimson Tide’s three-point shooing has cooled off recently, but thanks to hard-nosed defense, it has won three of its last four.
Meanwhile, Missouri (12-3, 5-3 SEC) eked out a 75-50 victory over Kentucky on Wednesday evening behind 26 points from guard Dru Smith. The Tigers have won seven of its last nine games on its way to second place in the conference.
For the Crimson Tide to win its 11th straight league game, it must contain guard Xavier Pinson, who averages a team-high 15.1 points and 3.4 assists.
Without Jordan Bruner in the lineup, stopping forward Jeremiah Tilmon, who is third in scoring for the Tigers (13.5) and leads the team in rebounding (7.9) and blocks (1.3), will be of upmost importance.
This is the only meeting in the regular season between each school, so a win for either squad will go a long way for seeding in the NCAA tournament.
No. 10 Alabama at No. 18 Missouri
Where: Missouri Arena
When: 11 a.m. CT, Saturday
Radio: Crimson Tide Sports Network
Last time out, Alabama: The Crimson Tide manhandled LSU, 78-60, to earn the regular-season sweep of the Bayou Bengals. Sophomore guard Jaden Shackelford poured in a team-high 19 points, while Alabama’s bench outscored LSU, 34-7.
Last time out, Missouri: The Tigers had to overcome a second-half surge from Kentucky to pull away from the Wildcats in the waning moments, 75-70. Guard Xavier Pinson added 14 points and three steals to go alongside Smith’s 26 points. Missouri also shot well-above its season average from three-point range, which is 31 percent, going 9-of-21 from deep.
The series: This will only be the 17th meeting between these two schools. Alabama leads the series all-time with a record of 11-5. The Crimson Tide is 3-3 all-time on the road in Columbia. Overall, Alabama has won seven of the 11 meetings since Missouri joined the SEC dating back to Jan. 8, 2013.
More on the last meeting: In last year’s regular-season finale, Alabama had its worst offensive showing of the Oats era, losing 69-50 inside Missouri Arena. Guard Kira Lewis dropped a game-high 18 points and four assists. The Crimson Tide shot 16 percent from three-point range (4-of-25) and only 30 percent from the field (14-of-46).