On June 1st, a year long dead period will FINALLY come to an end. That means that prospects can once again meet with coaches on campus. Programs can once again host prospects on official visits and hold camps to evaluate potential targets.
As such, next month is expected to be one of the busiest months in college football recruiting history. Many prospects have held off making any decisions knowing that they would have a chance to visit their top schools over the summer. Many have already scheduled most, if not all of their official visits.
Needless to say, it’s about to get crazy on the recruiting trail. Here’s a breakdown on where things stand for the Tigers’ 2022 class.
It’s been a slow start for Auburn this cycle. That shouldn’t come as a surprise given the Tigers have a new staff and they haven’t had an opportunity to meet with any of the 2022 class in person. I expect that to change in the coming months but for now the Tigers will enter the month of June with 3 commitments.
After ESPN bumped Geriner up to a 4-star and the nation’s #183 ranked player, Auburn’s top ranked commit moved to 4-star status on 247 Composite. Rivals, shockingly, is still behind the times with Geriner sitting as a mid tier 3-star but I doubt it stays that way for the rest of the cycle. He’s got a chance to end up a top 100 player in this class with a strong senior season.
Both Stinson and Gordon attended A-Day along with Geriner. Gordon is rock solid and is unlikely to visit anywhere other than the Plains. Auburn has its work cut out for them in keeping the speedster Stinson in the class. He’s being recruited hard by Auburn’s former DB coach Wesley McGriff at Florida, Auburn’s former WR coach Kodi Burns at Tennessee, and Auburn’s former head coach Gus Malzahn at UCF. As of today though I feel good about Auburn’s chances of keeping him in the fold.
Spots To Fill
The number of spots available is always a hard one to pin down so it’s best to just assume 25 until it’s reported otherwise.
- QB: 0-1
- RB: 2
- WR: 3-4
- TE: 1-2
- OL: 5-6
- DL: 3-4
- OLB: 1-2
- LB: 2-3
- CB: 2-3
- S: 2-3
I expect Auburn to sign a large class on both lines of scrimmage. I also believe Auburn will still pursue another QB but finding one willing to come in the same class as Geriner will be difficult.
While Auburn only has 3 commitments right now, it doesn’t mean that they are struggling to get traction with prospects. Many are waiting to take their visits before making any decisions. Here are some top recruits that I believe currently have Auburn #1 on their list. I am not saying these guys are locks to sign with Auburn just that I really like where the Tigers sit in their recruitments heading into June.
- 4-star OT Riley Quick: The younger brother of Bama 5-star OT Pierce Quick, Riley has emerged as a top target for Auburn both on the gridiron and the baseball diamond. The Crimson Tide have yet to offer.
- 4-star DE Caden Story: Until Bama decides to offer, Auburn looks to be the team to beat. Like Riley, he has an older brother that plays for the Tide and also like Riley he’s yet to be offered by Bama. He’s set a commit date of August 1st and has an official visit set to AU on June 18th.
- 3-star OT Eston Harris Jr: Harris very quickly became a top target for AU following Bryan Harsin’s hiring. The Tigers look to be in a good spot with the Opelika native but I should note he chose to attend Alabama’s spring game over Auburn’s last weekend.
- 3-star S Emory Floyd: Once considered a heavy UGA lean, Floyd named the Tigers his top school following a trip to the Plains for A-Day. He will officially visit AU on June 4th. I think he’s someone to put on commit watch that weekend.
- OLB Trevion Williams: Auburn offered the do it all athlete out of Crystal Springs, MS in March and immediately surged into the lead. However, instate programs Ole Miss and Mississippi State are still very much in the thick of things. Look for Williams to officially visit all 3 programs this summer.
- WR Latreal Jones: This is a fascinating recruitment. Jones has exactly one offer and it’s from your beloved Auburn Tigers. The JUCO All-American stands 6’2”, weighs 190 lbs and reportedly runs a 4.5. We will see if the Tigers push for a commitment over the summer.
- K Alex McPherson: McPherson is the top ranked kicker in the 2022 class holding offers from Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M. His older brother Evan kicks for the Gators but Alex grew up an AU fan and the Tigers appear to be the team to beat.
The list is obviously much longer when it comes to top prospects that are taking a long hard look at the Tigers. The following are prospects who have either scheduled official visits or I expect will take an official visit to the Plains in the coming months.
- 4-star DT Khurtiss Perry: AU is working hard on the state’s 3rd ranked player but it’s going to be difficult to beat the Tide in this race. I would expect Perry takes an official visit to the Plains.
- 4-star OT Elijah Pritchett: You could make a very strong case that Pritchett is the most important target on Auburn’s board. Unfortunately, Alabama has emerged as the leader and could be tough to beat. Pritchett is expected to take an OV to the Plains so there’s still an opportunity for the Tigers to make a move.
- 4-star RB Omarion Hampton: AU offered the NC native in mid March and has quickly become a top contender. The nation’s 10th ranked running back will officially visit Auburn along with Florida, Ohio State, and Penn State. His last will be to either Kentucky or UNC.
- 4-star ILB Shemar James: AU chasing Bama right now. Will officially visit AU on June 18th.
- 4-star WR Darrius Clemons: Bryan Harsin has been recruiting Clemons for years now while at Boise State and that relationship has Auburn right in the middle of this race. The playmaker out of Oregon will take an official visit to the Plains on June 4th. He’s also scheduled to visit Penn State, Michigan, and USC.
- 4-star WR Antonio Williams: AU likes Williams a lot but has some work to do if they want to land the playmaker out of South Carolina. It won’t matter though if Clemson decides to offer. Georgia, Florida state, Maryland, Ole Miss and South Carolina are all major factors in his recruitment as well.
- 4-star OLB DJ Wesolak: Auburn has very quietly become a major factor for one of the top pass rushers in the 2022 class. He’s landed offers from pretty much every major program in the country. Let’s see if the Tigers can get him on campus for an official visit this summer.
- 4-star CB Toriano Pride: The best CB in the class in my amateur opinion, Pride has scheduled 3 official visits to date: Auburn, Clemson and Ohio State. Credit Zac Etheridge for having AU in this race.
- 4-star ILB TJ Dudley: Auburn has work to do to close gap with the Tide but are working hard to land an official visit. He was set to commit earlier this spring, likely to Alabama, but held off to take visits.
- 4-star ILB DeMario Tolan: One of the biggest risers in the recent 247 rating updates, Tolan has long been a top target for new Auburn linebackers coach Jeff Schmedding. However, instate programs Florida State and Miami appear to be trending thought he’s only scheduled one official visit so far and it’s to LSU.
- 4-star DT Chris McClellan: Auburn is working hard to become a contender for the 5th ranked player in the state of Oklahoma. As of now, McClellan is reportedly only scheduled to take an unofficial visit to the Plains this summer. We will see if the Tigers can get him back for an official visit.
- 4-star OLB Tyreese Fearbry: A long edge rusher out of Pittsburgh, PA, Fearbry is expected to visit the Plains on June 25th. He’s also taking visits to Pittsburgh, Kentucky, and Penn State. Pitt is viewed as the early favorite.
- 4-star DL Quency Wiggins: One of my favorite DL prospects in this class, Wiggins recently named LSU his leader after visiting for their spring game. However, AU will have a chance to change that when he officially visits on June 25th.
- 4-star WR/CB Marquez Dortch (Ole Miss Commit): Zac Etheridge is working hard to flip the SEC West commit and Dortch is likely to take an official visit to the Plains. However, Dortch would prefer to play on the offensive side of the ball where Ole Miss is recruiting him while the Tigers like him at cornerback. We will see how big a role that plays in his recruitment.
- 4-star CB Benjamin Morrison: Per AuburnUndercover’s Keith Niebuhr, Auburn is making a strong push for Morrison out of Phoenix, AZ. The Tigers have already hosted him on a virtual visit and are hoping to get him on campus for an official visit this summer.
- 4-star ILB Robby Snelling: A Stanford baseball commit, Snelling is exploring the idea of playing both football and baseball at the next level. He was one of the first prospects Bryan Harsin offered and there’s a good chance he visits this summer.
- 4-star RB Damari Alston: There was some buzz Alston might reclassify and be eligible to play this fall but it appears that won’t happen. Regardless, Auburn is considered a top contender for the bowling ball back out of Atlanta along with Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State, and Ohio State.
- 4-star WR Omari Kelly: Kelly included AU in his top 8 recently but chose to visit Alabama’s spring game over Auburn’s. He’s also only setup one official visit so far and interestingly enough it’s to UCF.
- 3-star S Ja’Kobi Albert: One of the top athletes in the state of Alabama, Albert put AU in his top 8 recently. He’s also set to officially visit Auburn on June 18th. The Tigers might be the team to beat right now.
- 3-star CB Marcus Allen: Auburn is reportedly very high on Allen and he included the Tigers in his top 10 last month. Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Michigan, and UNC appear to be the top contenders in his recruitment.
- 3-star TE Micah Riley-Ducker: Has already scheduled all five of his official visits for this summer. He will be in Auburn on June 11th and will take official visits to Iowa, Wisconsin, Tennessee, and Iowa State. One of Brad Bedell’s top targets.
- 3-star TE Kaden Helms: Teammates with Riley-Ducker, Helms will take his OV to Auburn on June 21st. He’s also taking official visits to Miami, Oklahoma, and UNC. The Sooners are viewed as the team to beat.
- 3-star S Laquan Robinson: There hasn’t been much reported on Robinson’s recruitment since the Tigers offered in January. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on Auburn’s campus next month.
- 3-star DT Kaleb Artis: Was one of the first prospects Nick Eason offered upon being hired. Artis has set official visits to Auburn, Indiana, Penn State, and Virginia.
- 3-star CB Myles Pollard: Auburn was late to offer Pollard doing so after he dropped a top group without the Tigers but the timing does not appear to have hurt their chances. His previous relationship with Derek Mason has allowed AU to surge into his top group and land one of his official visits. He’s also set to see Oklahoma and Michigan in June.
- 3-star OT Jacob Hood: An Auburn-Georgia battle is brewing for the 6’8” 340 lb behemoth out of Nashville, TN. Auburn will get the first crack at him on June 4th before the Dawgs make their pitch on June 11th.
- 3-star DT Maxie Baudoin IV: Like Artis, Baudoin was offered very soon after Nick Eason was hired. The Louisiana native has only one official visit currently scheduled and it’s to Auburn on June 4th. He might be someone on commit watch next month.
- 3-star WR Jayden Gibson: Gibson had a big time performance at the Pylon 7v7 and recently earned a 4th star on 247. The Tigers offered recently and are pushing to land an official visit. Florida is considered the team to beat at the moment.
- 3-star WR Jay Fair: One of the speediest players in the 2022 class, Fair is set to visit the Plains on June 18th. Florida, Texas A&M, and TCU are also major factors in his recruitment. Fair is cousins with Auburn defensive lineman Daniel Foster-Allen.
- 3-star OT Leyton Nelson: AU offered earlier this month and are now battling with Oregon to land his last OV. He’s already scheduled official visits to Pitt, Miami, Tennessee, and Louisville.
- 3-star RB Quinshon Judkins: Judkins has been a top AU RB target since Bryan Harsin was hired. He visited the Plains for A-Day. This is shaping up to be an Auburn-Penn State battle.
- 3-star S Jaylen Lewis: Auburn has very quietly emerged as a top contender in Lewis’s recruitment. Derek Mason is reportedly pitching him on being Smoke Monday’s replacement. He’s set to officially visit Auburn on June 15th.
- 3-star ILB EJ Lightsey: Lightsey sports an impressive offer list given his rating. Auburn is likely to land an official visit though there hasn’t been a ton of new intel on his recruitment in recent weeks.
- 3-star ILB Omar Graham Jr: Graham is set to officially visit Auburn, Florida State, Miami, and Penn State next month. The Noles appear to be the top team at the moment.
- 3-star OG Drew Bobo: Mike Bobo’s son has yet to land an Auburn offer but I think odds are very good it comes especially if he camps this summer. He reportedly had a very impressive performance at the MVP Camp. He’s set official visits to Georgia Tech, Kentucky, and Virginia.
- 3-star WR Kaydin Pope: While no date has been set, Pope told GoVols247’s Ryan Callahan that he plans to take official visits to Auburn, Memphis and Tennessee next month. The Vols appear to be the team to beat.
- 3-star WR Marquarius White: White’s recruitment has blown up over the last month landing offers from Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia. The Tigers were not included in his top group a few weeks ago but that was before AU offered. I imagine all 3 of those programs have a good chance at landing an official visit.
- 3-star OT Maleek McNeil: Auburn offered McNeil last week and now working to get him on campus for an official visit. Boston College, Penn State, and Rutgers appear to be the top competition for the 6’8” 330 lb giant out of Massachusetts.
- 3-star OL/DT Antavious Woody: After the previous staff failed to have much contact with the Lafayette standout, Auburn’s new staff quickly offered Woody after being hired. He’s got the potential to play offensive or defensive line at the next level.
- 3-star DT Tre Emory: After offering last week, Auburn reportedly surged into Emory’s top 3. He’s scheduled four official visits already but it looks like the Tigers will get the 5th. If they do, he’s someone you might put on commit watch.
- 3-star S Brylan Green: An undersized and underrated head hunter out of Louisiana, Green landed an Auburn offer earlier this year. Auburn, Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, and Mississippi State appear to be the top contenders.
- CB Nick Cull: Cull does not yet have a 247 Composite rating but don’t be surprised if he’s a consensus 4-star in the not too distant future. The Georgia native has landed offers from Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Florida in the last month. He was reportedly on campus last month to watch Auburn’s open practice.
- CB Kye Stokes: This is a name to know moving forward. Stokes has absolutely blown up in recent days landing offers from Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and LSU over a 48 hour time period. We will see if the Tigers can get him on campus.